Forty-six (46) stones and stone groupings derived from the rocky islands of chloritic schist in the Bald Friar locality of the lower Susquehanna River were currently located in five places: Druid Hill Park near the maintenance complex (15 stone groupings), the Maryland Archeological Conservation (MAC) Laboratory at Jefferson-Patterson Park and Museum (14 stones), the old Post Office Building in Bel Air (9 stones), the old library building in Elkton (4 stone groupings), and the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT) Archaeology Laboratory in Crownsville (4 stones). With this assistance of the author’s appraisal, the entire collection is now at the Jefferson-Paterson Museum. First recorded in 1916, these stones and stone groupings were removed from the islands of the Susquehanna River in 1926-27 just prior to the inundation resulting from the completion of the Conowingo Hydroelectric Dam. This removal, aided by explosives, was accomplished by the Maryland Academy of Sciences (Academy). Subsequent to their removal, the pieces of stone were assembled and cemented into groupings or to brick bases by the Academy. These groupings and displays were designed either to mimic naturalistic river boulders or to creatively display a single large fragment with complete glyphs. In an article published in the Sunday News of Lancaster, Pennsylvania (December 18; 1927 page 13), Dr. Francis C. Nicholas of the Academy is quoted as estimating at ninety the number of stones, once reassembled.
References: Hranicky, Wm Jack (2006) An Evaluation of the Bald Friar Rockart Collection of Maryland. Maryland Academy of Science, Baltimore, MD.
Lenik, Edward J. (2004) The Bald Friar Petroglyphs of Maryland – Threatened, Rescued, Lost and Found (2004), pp. 290-307, In: Diaz-Granados, Carol and James R. Duncan (eds.) The Rock Art of Eastern North America – Capturing Images and Insights. University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa, AL.
Marye, William B. (1938) Petroglyphs near Bald Friar. Part III of Moorhead Warren King, A Report of the Susquehanna River Expedition sponsored in 1916 by the Museum of the American Indian, pp. 93-121, Heye Foundation, Museum of the American Indian, Andover, MA.
A significant rock outcropping, known as Paint Rock, can be found in Madison County, North Carolina very near the Tennessee border. It was reported by John Strother in 1799.
Dale Collins Recording
This rockart was investigated by Floyd Painter, Rodney Peck, and the author as an investigation by the Virginia Rockart Survey. It is a large boulder with numerous couples and connecting channels. The boulder is steatite and may date to the Archaic Period, but probably has a Late Woodland date. It is located in Jackson County, North Carolina.
Bald Friar Petroglyphs in Maryland
Scott Jones Rappahannock Site, Fredericksburg, Virginia
The Scott Jones petroglyphic site is located on the Rappahannock River west of Fredericksburg, Virginia. It was discovered by Scott Jones. It is a circular glyph on a granite boulder. The boulder measures 57, by 59, by 21 1/2 inches. It has a north/south lengthwise orientation. The ring glyph measures 13 by 10 ½ inches with the ring groove being ¾ of an inch. Both the top and bottom or long boulder edge has an intertwined Z-shape border. They each measure 39 by 2 1/4 inches. It was recorded by the Survey on September 27, 2014.
The Virginia Rockart Survey staff visited the Wyoming County Petroglyph (46 Wm 3) site in West Virginia to record and study its glyphs. The site has many, many interpretations, most of which claim Old World association. The Survey draws no conclusions from the literature on the site or from actual study of the glyphs. This site is also known as the Luther Elkins site. It has numerous related rockart sites, such as:
Horse Creek (WVA)
Station Camp Creek (KY)
Layton 2 Rock (KY)
Beard’s Fork (WVA).
The site has a Winter solstice orientation.
Brinkley’s Farm Petroglyph Site, North Carolina
Dale Collins Recording
Judaculla Rock, North Carolina
The rockart section contains the following pages:
Jack Hranicky Recording
The Salt Rock Petroglyphs are located on the Guyandot River in West Virginia. It is about 23-24 miles from the Ohio River. The petroglyph site was investigated by the Virginia Rockart Survey (Jack Hranicky and Dale Collins) in June 1992. There are two sites on this part of the river, but one could not be located by the Survey. The sites are in Cabell County, West Virginia. This site consists of two boulders.
The site is approximately 100 meters from cupstones on a large outcrop. The Salt Rock’s main boulder (A) is 8 ft by 11 ft and has a 40 degree dip. At its highest end, it is 5 feet high. The second boulder (B) is 10 feet long and is 42 inches high and has a 30 degree dip. The river is 50 meters to the south..
Wyoming County Petroglyphs – West Virginia
Paint Rock, Pictograph Site, North Carolina
Salt Rock Petroglyphs, West Virginia
Scott Joes and Jack Hranicky
The Brinkley’s Farm petroglyphic site is one boulder containing glyphs which was moved several hundred feet from its original location. It is a C-shaped boulder; 5 feet 7 inches on one end; 6 feet 2 inches on the other end. It is located on Wolf Creek in Jackson County, North Carolina.
VIRGINIA ROCKART SURVEY