Wm Jack Hranicky RPA

​ rockart glyphs pictographs petroglyphs

Volunteer, Kevin Quick, recording foot print.

Investigations at Short Mountain Petroglyph Site (44Snxx), Shenandoah County, Virginia were performed by the Virginia Rockart Survey. The site is a summer solstice site and probably dates around 1400 AD. This site has two incised handprints and makes use of a natural impression in a large boulder which in shadow appears to be a footprint. Also, the site has natural concentric rings which appear in walls of the site area. The concentric ring is found at Paint Lick Mountain (44TZ13) and numerous sites in the western hemisphere. Also, the Mount Airy mound is located within 1500 meters of this site.

Jack Hranicky examining a wall.

Circles Shadowed During the Summer Solstice showing a sun line.

Rockshelter at the Site (Dale Collins)

The site was recorded by Jack Hranicky and Dale Collins. The first observation of the footprint was 2:30 pm on May 18, 1991. In discussing the site with people in the city of Mt Jackson, several people indicated that they had seen the footprint – a local Indian legend.

There have been five trips to the site. On May 16, 1998, the team cut down a tree that was growing next to the foot-print boulder because it was dis-lodging the boulder’s position.

The concentric rings were the major focus at the site. The mound was probably chosen because of the rings.

The natural rings works as a day clock. As the sun moves across the sky, a pointer rock makes a shadow in the geological circles.

Day Clock Shadowing

Glyph Location (Jack Hranicky)

Footprints are only illuminated during the summer solistice. The footprint is 8 x 51/2 inches long and is the left foot. Its boulder is 20 by 24 inches.

Short Mountain Rockart Site

Class: Petroglyphic

Time: Woodland (?)

​Location: Shenandoah County, Virginia

Foot Print at the Site

View of the Valley, in Prehistoric Times – a Mound could be seen.

Pathway along the site’s face.

Incised Handprints. Probably coated with red ochre during Indian times. Glyphs are located on the wall above the foot print.

General View of Short Mountain